Finding the Volume of a Cube
(KS3, Year 8)
The LessonThe volume of a cube is found using the formula:
In this formula, a is the length of each side of the cube. The image below shows what we mean by the length of the side:
"Find the Volume" Widget
- Click on the shape you're learning about.
- Click on the pad to start.
- Follow the instructions in the bottom-left corner.
- On the last click, the formula, workings, and answer will appear in the yellow box.
- Good luck!
How to Find the Volume of a Cube
QuestionWhat is the volume of a cube with sides of length 6 cm, as shown below?
Start with the formula:
Volume = a3Don't forget: a3 = a × a × a (a cubed).
Substitute the side length into the formula. In our example, a = 6.
Volume = 63 = 6 × 6 × 6 = 216 cm3
Answer:The volume of the cube with sides of length 6 cm is 216 cm3.
Lesson SlidesThe slider below shows another real example of how to find the volume of a cube. Open the slider in a new tab
What Is a Cube?A cube is a box-shaped object. It is made of six identical square-shaped faces.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?